At 01:42 AM 6/21/02, John Neiberger wrote:
>This isn't quite true.

I agree. I think the materials Michael was looking at overgeneralized.
Words like "only" and "always" just don't come into play with networks
unless you're talking about the speed of light or something. ;-)

Seriously, this much I know is true:

The link between the router serial interface and the CSU/DSU (which Howard
tells me is really a DSU) is V.35. The router acts as DTE. The CSU/DSU acts
as DCE. (We tend to think of the switch in the provider's office as being
DCE which is true also, but on the local level, the DSU is acting as DCE).

On a V.35 connection, this much I know is true:

DTE is responsible for DTR and RTS

DCE is responsible for Data Carrier Detect (CD), DSR, and CTS.

Numerous things can go wrong to cause the DTE or DCE not to assert one or
more of these. They have to all be asserted for the interfaces to be up/x.

However, are all those things local to the V.35 endpoints and cabling? Or
could a problem out the other end of the DCE (out the carrier side of the
CSU/DSU) cause them not to be asserted? Could a misconfiguration of framing
or encoding on an external CSU/DSU cause a problem that resulted in a
down/down interface? I think from the answers that I'm getting that the
answer is yes. (or at least flapping and sometimes being down/down ;-)

Thanks everyone for your help. Don't I come up with some good ones? ;-)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com