""Thomas Larus""  wrote in message
> While Mr. Ladrach is almost certainly correct in his statement that the
CCIE
> is less challenging that physics and calculus, he might be able to speak
> more authoritatively once he has passed the Lab Exam.
>
> As for being easier than accounting and economics classes, if you are
> reasonably intelligent and do all the homework, you will almost certainly
> pass most accounting and economics classes.  You can be reasonably
> intelligent, do all the right things in preparation for the CCIE lab, and
> fail and fail and fail again.
>
> While I would certainly say that the CCIE material is less difficult to
> learn than some  other subjects I have studied, I can honestly say that I
> have never studied so hard for one test in my life, or gotten myself into
> state where I had such an "edge"-- a certain sharpness and facility with a
> given subject matter that I fear I may never experience again (unless I go
> for a second CCIE).  It is not rocket science, but you have to execute
VERY
> well.
>
> As for nrf, - his contributions to groupstudy have been almost entirely
> negative. While it is helpful to have some discussion of things like the
job
> market and the question of whether it is better to invest time and effort
in
> a degree versus certification is useful, constantly chiming in with
negative
> thoughts and assessments is not very helpful.  This is something of a
> support group, and in these difficult times, those of us who have already
> set out to achieve certification goals need encouragement and technical
> advice.
>
> I do not know if nrf is one of these people (he could just be negative for
> no particular reason), there are some people who come to these discussion
> groups to discourage others from pursuing dreams the achievement of which
> might bring about a greater number of certified IT professionals and
perhaps
> exert downward pressure on salaries.

I didn't realize that I was supposed to be people's personal cheerleader.
Uh, since when exactly did that become part of my job?   I don't remember
seeing anything about 'emotional support' when I signed up for this NG.

We're all adults here (I hope).  I see no need to patronize anybody.  I'm
not your father and I'm not your shrink. You want support?  You should go
talk to your significant other.  You want the truth?  Come here and talk to
me or some of the other people here.  I don't see it as my job to pat people
on the back.  Like I said, we're all adults here and we shouldn't need that.

Look, I am here neither to encourage nor discourage.  I call it like I see
it, - and if that encourages or discourages people, then fine, but that's
not my goal. If things are good, then I'll say they're good, and  if things
are bad, I'm going to say they're bad.  To do otherwise is really to engage
in a pernicious form of censorship.  This would not be a far cry from a
situation where, before anybody asks a question on this NG, a person should
immediately and privately email everybody here and tell them exactly how
they should respond - therefore when he does ask the question, he will get
the exact answer he wants.  But if that's what this NG is all about, then
why even bother to post on the NG at all - why not just have a conversation
with yourself?  That way you will always get the exact answer that you are
looking for.  "Should I do this?" "Well, of course, and by the way, aren't
you wonderful and handsome...".

After all, if something is bad, especially as it pertains to the job market,
isn't it better to hear it now rather than find out later the hard way?
How exactly does it help anybody to tell people fantasies about how the CCIE
is the greatest thing since sliced bread when we all know that it is not?
In the long run, does this really help anybody?  Isn't it more helpful to
tell people the truth?  {And when exactly have I posted something that was a
lie?}

One funny phenomenom that I've discovered is that some people think that
through my posts I am encouraging people whereas others think, via those
exact same posts, that I am discouraging them.  Delicious irony.  Those
detractors should get together and figure it out amongst themselves and then
come back here and tell me what they've decided.

> For the record, I studied and practiced hard, and passed the CCIE lab with
> precious little "industry experience."  I found a great job in a great
> company within two months of passing the CCIE Lab, and I had a few other
> interested folks contact me for interviews.
>
> I certainly cannot make any promises about the future, but my point is
that
> if you can get all the way to passing the CCIE lab, you will probably not
> regret it.  This journey is worthwhile, and don't let a bunch of naysayers
> get you down.
>
> That said, if you are very young and considering certification as an
> alternative to a college degree, understand that the college degree (even
> BA) and what you should learn in the process of gaining it, can be very
> helpful.
>
> Tom Larus, CCIE #10,014
>
> ""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message

College
> of
> is
> business
> > have
> road.

> > >All of the listed should be thought in high school. Unless it's some
> > >kind of quantum programming (is it still a concept?), CCIE should be by
> > >far more challenging. My two cents..
> > >:)
> >
> > I hope the smiley means you aren't serious.  Let me pose some CS
> > questions, which I swear are off the top of my head.  In all
> > fairness, I'm not sure if some of these will be advanced
> > undergraduate or graduate level, but we have been talking about CCIE
> > vs. PhD... I have tried to select questions that bear on real
> > networks.
> >
> > CS-programming.
> >     Compare and contrast NP-hard, NP-complete, and NP-incomplete
> algorithms
> >     Review the optimal search and update algorithms for trees and tries.
> >     Identify four major searching and sorting algorithms and describe
> their
> >       advantages and disadvantages
> >     Extract a square root using Newton-Raphson iteration, or select a
> > different
> >       method and explain why it is superior.
> >     Describe a strategy for change control in a programming team.  The
> > software
> >       library will include documentation, source, linkable elements, and
> >       executables.
> >     What record locking mechanisms are needed to ensure integrity of a
> >       hierarchical linked list?
> >     What are the types of commitment protocols and the basic ACID
> properties
> >       of transactions?
> >     How can a buffer overflow be exploited to gain control?
> >     Build a Monte Carlo simulator for network traffic following Markov,
> >       exponential, fractal, and Erlang B and C pdf's for both
interarrival
> >       and service time.
> >     Characterize the major conceptual differences among the FORTH,
FORTRAN