""Geoff Zinderdine""  wrote in message
> > For the record, I studied and practiced hard, and passed the CCIE lab
with
> > precious little "industry experience."  I found a great job in a great
> > company within two months of passing the CCIE Lab, and I had a few other
> > interested folks contact me for interviews.
>
> The demagoguery of this whole thread aside, my experience was much the
same
> as Mr. Larus'.  I had little industry experience and also found exactly
the
> job I wanted in exactly the place I wanted for exactly the money that I
> asked for within two and a half months.  I also had three other offers
and
> a series of five interviews with a prominent multinational whose only
> concern was my lack of customer facing time as I was interviewing for a
> pre-sales role.  As I am a high school dropout with only a couple years of
> university to my credit, you can more clearly see the effect of the CCIE
on
> my career than on  Mr. Larus' as he was a  lawyer in his previous
> incarnation and hence brings allot to the table outside of the CCIE even
> without much industry experience.  Every one of the CCIEs that I know is
> working aside from one that is dedicating more time to flying RC gliders
off
> a cliff in San Francisco than job searching:)

Geez, ever go to the jobs NG?  It's absolutely filled with jobless CCIE's.

> If you want to get a good job in the networking field, the CCIE is a great
> path to take.

Just bear in mind that the CCIE guarantees nothing.  There are plenty of
unemployed CCIE's out there.

> If you would rather rise to the top management of Cisco or
> some other Fortune 500 company you are better off with a degree... or
> perhaps even better, many hours in the garden watching some rapacious slug
> devour and assimilate everything in its path.  Keep in mind that business
> (like government and unlike fish) is curious in that the bottomfeeders
> congregate at the top.

Uh, sounds curiously like a case of sour grapes.  Guys who are at the top of
the business world make more money in a week than we make in a year.  More
to the point, in my experience, it's always better to be the one giving
orders than to be the one taking them.  Why do you think the comic strip
Dilbert is so popular?  Sure, the pointy-haired boss might not know
anything, but at the end of the day, he's still the one giving orders.