""Geoff Zinderdine""  wrote in message
> > Uh, sounds curiously like a case of sour grapes.  Guys who are at the
top
> of
> > the business world make more money in a week than we make in a year.
More
> > to the point, in my experience, it's always better to be the one giving
> > orders than to be the one taking them.  Why do you think the comic strip
> > Dilbert is so popular?  Sure, the pointy-haired boss might not know
> > anything, but at the end of the day, he's still the one giving orders.
>
> You seem to suffer from that curious American disease of equating money
with
> career fulfilment and happiness.  There is no sour grapes at all, and
> throughout my various career paths I have chosen what made me happy over
> what made me rich.  This is not to say that I want to work for free, but I
> am quite happy making what I do in a year.  I have no desire to do a job I
> loathe to make more money.  I couldn't care less who gives orders.  There
is
> far more nobility in serving well than in managing poorly.

Hey, if you're cool with that, then that's cool.    That's always been my
point - if you're happy being the technical guy who's taking orders from
other people, then God bless you, everything that I say doesn't apply to
you.

But on the other hand, even you agree that there are a lot of people (not
just Americans, but a lot of people in the world) who want money.  For some
of these people, it is precisely money that brings them happiness.  And
who's to say that you can't have a happy career that also happens to produce
a lot of money?  I don't see it as an either-or choice.  Sure, some rich
people are unhappy.  But go to the bad, poverty-stricken part of town, and
you'll see some REALLY unhappy people.  I volunteer for various charities,
and I spent the holidays providing toys for needy people who couldn't afford
to buy simple gifts for their children.   I was happy to help out, but
that's some real misery I was looking at.

> I have never been interested in corporate culture... and the revelations
of
> the wrongdoings of American business over the past few years point to
> exactly why I am not.  It is far better to be ethical and content than to
> try to devour the world with one's greed.

Like I said, if you're happy with your lot, then God bless you.  But again,
I don't see that business success and ethics is necessarily an either-or
choice.  You can be successful and ethical.

And besides, I don't know that ethics has anything to do with this argument.
CCIE's can be just as unethical as anybody else.