Hi Rick
Nope, the cradle lift I refer to is essentially a trailer shaped like a U that they back up around the cradle. They then fit cross bars under the cradle, attaching them to the trailer, and then hudraulics lift the whole thing up in the air. It can be moved by a small tractor (bobcat or similar). It is only a few feet high, and only for moving cradles.

Properly done stands are indeed effective, but I think a cradle is much more idiot proof.

Graham Collins
Secret Plans
C&C 35-III #11

On 2013-08-02 11:38 PM, Rick Brass wrote:
May thru October was about the same as Michigan, and Mid-April to
mid-October was the norm in Philly.

I much prefer it down here when you only haul for maintenance or when you
need a bottom job - about every 3 or 4 years with good bottom paint.

The club I belonged to in Philly had an old travel lift trailer pulled by an
even older Oshkosh or Owatonna spotter truck. Most folks owned their own
jack stands, I purchased a cradle because a used shipping cradle was less
expensive than new stands - but it was a PITA to move around.

By "cradle lift" I presume you mean a big forklift capable of picking up
cradle and boat from the side? I am only familiar with the term as a type of
boat lift used to lift a boat out of the water at a dock or in a boat house.

In so far as a perception that a cradle is superior to stands, I can only
say that my 38 has weathered direct impacts from Hurricanes Isobel and Irene
( and a couple of nor'easters when it was out for refit for well over a
year) on 6 stands - though I personally made sure the stands were chained
together and sitting on largeish squares of 1/2" plywood intended to keep
the gravel under the stands from getting washed away by high water.

Rick Brass
Washington, NC