Interesting test of older steering system.
Usually when idlers are serviced, we suggest new stainless pins, since the
older brass pins wear .
I've never seen a sprocket damaged like that - obviously not from wear .
The corner of the quadrant where your cable started breaking is an obvious
problem. Nowadays I am careful to use a larger radius there.
We normally suggest ten years life expectancy for the chain and cable, unless
you're in the Caribbean and then it's a lot shorter.