> Just curious, who actually claimed that and what was it based on?

I don't know who claimed it first, and who agreed for it,
but I agree with it :-)

More precisely, I think that increasing time and computational power
makes computers stronger, but not for some particular things like
long-term life-and-death in corners, or semeai situations. This makes a
big limitation on what is possible with MCTS algorithms, in particular
against humans. We made a lot
of efforts for online learning of Monte-Carlo simulations, in order to
improve
this, but there's no significant improvement around that.

Best regards,
Olivier