>   I agree that framing things in terms of explicit risks is a good idea,
> but can we always say what they are?  Letting an application know your IMEI
> can certainly be used to "track you across applications" is one risk, but
> an app could also use it for other nefarious uses.  And there are reasons
> where granting IMEI is legitimate.  Trying to come up with the right
> messages might be impossible.

Yes, it's possible to miss a risk.  However, a set of security experts will
certainly be better at figuring out what the risks are than arbitrary end
users, who are really quite terrible at it.  And of course it is possible
for it to be a legitimate request.  The user should be able to figure out
the legitimate reason because s/he has presumably clicked on a button or
done something else to trigger the permission prompt.  The security warning
serves as a counterbalance to present the risks, which the user presumably
may not be able to figure out on his/her own (otherwise we wouldn't need to
show a warning at all).