On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:

> However if you instead make the dialog say "This website is trying to
> get your current location. What do you want to do?" with two buttons
> that say "Give my location to website" and "Deny access", then you
> have a better chance of getting a more relevant answer.

 that's a bloody good idea.

 do you know what?  it's the only time i've ever heard *anyone* come
up with a decent way to deal with the
idiot-user-clickety-click-to-get-rid-of-the-what's-that-dialog
problem.

> Maybe provide both pieces of information is the best solution. I.e.
> make the dialog say "This app wants access to your IMEI number. If you
> grant this access they can do evil actions X and Y. And if you grant
> access to multiple apps they can track you across apps." and then make
> the buttons say "Grant IMEI number" and "Don't grant IMEI number".

 HA, that's hilarious.  can you imagine a profit-maximising company
such as google, apple or palm/hp coming up with something like this?
*sotto voice* "oo noo, mr deevelupurr, we couldn't possibly do
something like actually tell people they could be tracked, it might
scare away the customer and that would hurt our profits".

 remember though that you'll have to make those dialog buttons be
"Give away IMEI number and be tracked for as long as you shall live"
and "Don't grant IMEI number and be denied the use of this wonderful
free addictive application which aalllll of your peers have been
pressurised into installing" :)

 *cough* sorry cynical of me.

l.