2012/3/9 lkcl luke <luke.leigh...@gmail.com>

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
>
> > However if you instead make the dialog say "This website is trying to
> > get your current location. What do you want to do?" with two buttons
> > that say "Give my location to website" and "Deny access", then you
> > have a better chance of getting a more relevant answer.
>
>  that's a bloody good idea.
>
>  do you know what?  it's the only time i've ever heard *anyone* come
> up with a decent way to deal with the
> idiot-user-clickety-click-to-get-rid-of-the-what's-that-dialog
> problem.
>

> > Maybe provide both pieces of information is the best solution. I.e.
> > make the dialog say "This app wants access to your IMEI number. If you
> > grant this access they can do evil actions X and Y. And if you grant
> > access to multiple apps they can track you across apps." and then make
> > the buttons say "Grant IMEI number" and "Don't grant IMEI number".
>
>  HA, that's hilarious.  can you imagine a profit-maximising company
> such as google, apple or palm/hp coming up with something like this?
> *sotto voice* "oo noo, mr deevelupurr, we couldn't possibly do
> something like actually tell people they could be tracked, it might
> scare away the customer and that would hurt our profits".
>
>  remember though that you'll have to make those dialog buttons be
> "Give away IMEI number and be tracked for as long as you shall live"
> and "Don't grant IMEI number and be denied the use of this wonderful
> free addictive application which aalllll of your peers have been
> pressurised into installing" :)
>
>  *cough* sorry cynical of me.

Regardless of the prompts and dialogs chosen it's critical -- for both devs
and laymen -- to be able to able to get quick access to a detailed list of
capability grants for any given application from the application itself.
And not just for b2g and mobile -- it should be right there with
view-source, fundamental to gecko.