besides labs (see [1]) i agree for the existing gsoc projects like:
 - component library for html5 components
 - webapp-test btw. webapp-test2 (manila)
 - codi-rad

i'm perfectly fine with a) since the basic topic was the >quick<
community check.
-> we should start a new thread for checking potential participants.

regards,
gerhard

[1] http://markmail.org/message/c6vcpqbdpqygjwkt