Bernd has a good point.

Actually the underlying problem is that we (ASF) introduced Apache-Extras but
the code over there has no implicit IP grant. This can also even be GPLed
code...
Whereas otoh for contributing to a MyFaces sandbox project you need to be an
ASF committer already.

Usually getting code contributions of a medium sized quantity over into an ASF
project doesn't always need an incubation. This can also just be done by
creating a Jira issue and attaching all the code as patch. I've done this for
the openjpa-maven-plugin donation to OpenJPA that way [1].
Of course all contributors need an iCLA on file.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1934