Hi,

from my POV it is a fact, that NetBeans (the IDE) can't be required to
be runnable on JDK 8 and in fact it is not. So my idea:

- commit to make NetBeans runnable on JDK LTS -1
- build with JDK LTS -1
- be able to be build with the current JDK
- allow modules to depend on libraries, that require newer JDKs (see
  new JakarataEE developments for example, OpenJFX)
- keep as many modules as feasible compatible with release 8
- if a module needs to break compatibility with java 8 it is the job of
  people wanting it to stay compatible to do the necessary work
- the more to the core, the better the arguments for breaking
  compatibitly should be

The idea here is, that I see Jaroslavs point that libraries should be
compatible and I'm willing to sacrifice syntactic sugar for
compatibility. What I won't accept is that we are stuck in the past.
OpenJFX has a webbrowser and thus quickly becomes a security component,
we must be able to update this.

This also introduces a baseline java version: The absolute lowest
support java version is the one still supported by the most current
JDK.

Greetings

Matthias