On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 19:02, Matthias Bläsing
<mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> - commit to make NetBeans runnable on JDK LTS -1
> - build with JDK LTS -1
> - be able to be build with the current JDK

+1 as long as that includes the platform.

That is what I suggested in the other thread (I don't see why we need
multiple threads incidentally!)

An LTS-1 strategy seems closest to how NetBeans used to function -
major-1, in a time when it also had more development resources?

Let's also be clear, though, that adopting an LTS-1 strategy means
dropping JDK 11 support either in our first release after JDK 21, or
the first after JDK 22 - so latest May 2024.

> - keep as many modules as feasible compatible with release 8

-1 : A number of things have come up recently about preparing for JDK
21+ that would involve increasing the bytecode level and APIs in some
core parts of the NetBeans runtime container.

Either we give ourselves more of a headache there to keep JDK 8, or we
do this cleanly, at which point raising the default to release 11
makes more sense?

We could choose to keep release 8 for some modules that make sense as
libraries outside of the runtime container - utilities, lookup, etc.?
But surely it makes more sense to explicitly specify those, so that we
and third-parties have clarity over which things still support JDK 8?