Greg,

> Darrell,
>
> I think Mitel needs to kick down some type of a consulting fee to you.
From
> the standpoint of viewing SME development from this list, it looks like
you
> do more development than they do.
>
> Greg

Darrell doesn't do this as a favor to us. And that is the thing that bothers
me about your statement, Greg.  It implies that the free collaboration that
characterizes the open source movement is dead!  I believe that people
participate in open source communities because it's in their self interest -
it's based on free and fair trade.  Read Eric Raymond's works sometime.

I kinda figure Darrell does okay in all of this. :)   Truly, he's done tons
of great work with the community.   On the other hand, he got software for
free that reflects thousands of hours of development effort and he's
building a business for himself off of that.  *He* hasn't needed to sink a
few million into building the developer community, developing the nascent
offerings, etc.  He participates in a community that is hosted, seeded and
moderated by another company. So he does lots in return.  I like that - Fair
trade.  In fact, he solicits business for himself on our forums for a
competitive offering (Are we schmucks, er what?!?).

As in all things, it's important to strike the right balance.

It was our long term goal to build a community where projects took off on
their own.  It's a positive thing that people are able to work together
without us.  You shouldn't need or expect us to control every interaction
and development project!  Certainly it'd never work if the model were that
Mitel did all the development work themselves and gave it away for free. (or
rather, it'd work for you but it wouldn't work for us).  :)

It's true that the Mitel development team hasn't devoted as much time
recently to the free software.  The pressure is on companies around the
world to more tightly focus efforts on activities that lead to revenue.
Mitel's no different.  Mitel continues to devote resources to hosting the
project and in fact we do spend significant amounts of our available extra
time working on the server software.  Less so lately though - that's true.
Our resources are tightly managed right now and once we take care of the
things that lead to revenues there isn't tons of time left over anymore.
Find a company where that isn't true right now.

Right now that means that we are focusing intently on ServiceLink.  As
resources allow, the development team is able to focus on the server
software.  Many of the folks on our development team wish they could be even
more active than they are, but, heck, we've all gotta earn a living. :)

- Kim

---
Kim Morrison                                      +1 (613) 368-4390
General Manager                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Network Server Solutions Group         http://www.e-smith.com
Mitel Networks Corporation                http://www.mitel.com