D.,

Of course it helps us! That's why we do it! :) :) What's wrong with that?

Your contributions help tons of people out there - us included.  Our
contributions have helped a lot of people too.  I like that. That's the
beauty of the thing. :)

It's okay for us to be helped by all of this. It's okay for folks in our
developer community to work on stuff without us because they want it done
sooner than we'll do it ourselves.

You've got an itch and we wish you well as you scratch it.  If you encounter
a hard to reach spot, someone might be able to loan you one of those wooden
arms with a hand on the end. We might even have one to spare. But it's
*your* itch right now. We're not scheduled to get that rash for a month or
two yet.

I'm especially proud of my metaphor. :)

Like anyone, we work on stuff according to a set of priorities given a set
of resources.  If samba 2.2.2 rises to the top of our priority list before
you guys are done, we'll be there to help.  Right now it isn't and so,
rationally, we wish you well but we aren't committing.  People might argue
that samba 2.2.2 should be our priority, and - who knows, we're fallible -
they may be right.    However, I also think that no one is entitled to
dictate our priorities when what they got from us in the first place was
free.  We listen and try to incorporate feedback into our planning, but it's
gotta be best effort. :)

Just my 2cents.  Cheers,

- K.