Le 09/11/2013 18:26, Ali Çehreli a écrit :
On 11/08/2013 11:43 PM, Raphaël Jakse wrote:

 > My guideline is to translate everything (I hate
 > speaking/reading about computer science with people who use
 > three English works by French sentance) and give the English
 > counterpart the first time to be able to find help in the
 > English world.

Like almost everything else about natural languages, translation is a
fascinating topic.

I completely agree :-)

Like you, I tried to use all Turkish words. I consulted many online
programming dictionaries, asked individual words at Turkish forums,
imported from other languages (e.g. "temsilci" for "delegate" from the
C# world). The Turkish chapters have an adapted mini dictionary on the
left-hand side that contains the English originals of the translations.
Here is the template chapter:

   http://ddili.org/ders/d/sablonlar.html

 > The French translation for template is "modèle", I think I'll
 > use this one.

That was one of the funnier translations to Turkish: In order to avoid
the foreign word "template", I used another foreign word which comes
from another context (architectural drawing tools), "şablon", partly
because it is already in use in the C++ world. I would have guessed that
it was the transliteration of French "chablon" but "chablon" seems to be
a dead word as I can't find it on online dictionaries. :) Google
Translate translates it as "şablon" to Turkish but that's it. Anyway...

I didn't know this word. My dictionary ("Le Petit Larousse 2006") only says that is a Swiss word for "pochoir", which is a "stencil", which indeed can be considered as a template.

online Larousse gives another definition of the word: "un chablon" is a partially assembled movement (clockwork)

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/chablon/14404

 > I had a really hard time translating "slice".

Yup, that and many others... Fascinating topic... :)

Natural languages, translation and teaching are fascinating topic :-)

Ali