On Saturday, 9 November 2013 at 10:44:06 UTC, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Raphaël Jakse
I had a really hard time translating "slice". I opted for "tranche". That can sound weird but what "slice" really means, unless I am mistaken. If
somebody has a better translation, please suggest!

extrait?

partie?

"Tranche" seems better to me, because the translation is so direct.

The term "slice" isn't any more semantically accurate in English than "tranche" would be in French. We aren't actually "taking a slice" of an array, after all: that would imply that the original array was now missing a piece. :)

As a weak francophone, if I saw "tranche" in a french D article, I would know exactly what it meant, while "partie" would seem more ambiguous IMHO.

Just my two cents (bien que nous n'avons plus des cents au Canada!),
Graham