Le 10/11/2013 09:31, Olivier Pisano a écrit :
Most of the time, templates are translated as "templates". I think it is
better not to add an additional cognitive indirection by translating the
keyword.

The worst translation I ever saw for templates in a french C++ book was
"patron". It took me a few seconds to realize what it was refering to.

I agree for "patron", which is mostly for geometry and can be confused with the concept of "pattern", which might be even more abstract.

The additional indirection is true for people who already know the concept and who read a tutorial which didn't translate the word the first time they learned the concept.

When I first saw "template", It meant nothing for me because I didn't know the English word. With a French word, I could have understood more easily (at least, I would not have been blocked by an unknown English word).

Realizing what the French word refers to for people who already now the concept can be eased by introducing the English word at the same time. What these people will have to do when reading the chapter is to remember that e.g. "modèle" refers to "template". It is more work, but the additional work is not really a problem as they already know the concept. On the other hand, people who don't know the concept won't have the additional work to block on an unknown English word or to translate it. Anyway, the 'template' keyword will appear anywhere in the chapter so the English word will be there.