Rick,

You asked..."Why do the Pactor modes work so well? They have the same
bandwidth, power, and fairly similar coding to sound card modes. Is their
coding something that can not be
implemented on current sound cards in terms of the modulation?"

Here may be part of the answer...

Measurements made by Rick, KN6KB, when working on SCAMP measured PI/II/III with
the KC7WW HF Channel Simulator found that PIII at a -10 dB SNR had a slightly
better throughput than MT63.  MT63-2K has been measured by KC7WW using the same
simulator that he sold KN6KB and found that MT63 needed a about a 5 dB better
SNR than Pactor III to have the same throughput.

The problem with MT63 is that it does not change its modulation dynamically as
the SNR changes but Pactor III does.  So when conditions are good, Pactor III
screams.  But when conditions are very poor, Pactor III is not that much better
than MT63.

Another thing is that MT63 doesn't use ARQ and Pactor does.  Also, the
modulation rate is lower than optimum for all of the HF bands...31 Hz.
Research for the past 30 years has reveiled that a 45-50 baud modulation rate
works very well on HF.  Thus if MT63 kicked up its modulation rate and added
ARQ, it might very well outperform Pactor III and low SNRs.  If you added
dymanic modulation changes to MT63, you might very well have a throughput of
400-800 WPM.  A typed page is about 720 words.

Copy some E-Mail into your word processor some time and do a word count...you
might be surprised.

73,

Walt/K5YFW