Perhaps I can give you some insight at various levels of though as to why new
hams are NOT getting on the air.

What I'm about to say should not be mistaken for the words of someone with an
axe to grind or confused with someone who is simply being unpleasant.

I want to start with the fact that we remain in a very bad economy and people
are losing their jobs. People are losing their homes, and everyone is trying to
hold on to their money. Along with this problem, there exists the issue of what
it costs to buy quality amateur equipment and then there is having to deal with
any antenna restrictions.

There are new hams who don't have antenna restrictions and have to contend with
neighbors who complain to the hills about an antenna being erected before it
can even become operational. I personally had to deal with some local idiots
who kept calling the police and the police kept trying to tell me I had to stop
operating or get arrested for som offense they couldn't even name. I explained
to these coppers that amateur radio is not within their jurisdiction, but was
simply told to shut up.

Another problem is that the "old guard" who have an axe to grind against new
amateurs due to the change in licensing requirements and other new FCC policies
to go with that change which occurred back in Feb of 2007, are running new
amateurs off in droves.

Hazing or outright threatening behavior by hams licensed before Feb of 2007 is
another reason new hams are not getting on the air. I went through this myself.
A mentality has arisen that "amateur radio is only for listening and you're
never supposed to transmit". Everyone wants the bands quiet and wants the next
amateur to just stop operating.

It was so bad in my area that I am one of several amateurs who have had their
vehicle vandalized or an attempt made to remove their antenna. There are more
details I could go into, but will suffice to say that amateur radio has become
a very nasty place to be with other hams who want to run everyone off. This is
proven by the various amateur radio internet forums...outsiders such as new
hams or potential hams see what is being discussed and they see the behavior
there and decide they can spend their time and money in better places on better
activities.

Over the past year, I have tried to introduce amateur radio to two local
schools. My proposals were turned down solely because of disparaging and
unbecoming behavior on part of the amateur community. The schools cited two
sources: amateur radio internet forums and one incidence during which a school
official bought a radio receiver, heard horrible discussions happening locally
and on the HF bands, and labeled it a possible threat to the children. Another
incidence happened when I forgot to turn my radio down while waiting for one of
my kids to come out of school and a school official heard one of our local
jammers...the school wanted nothing to do with us at that point and opted to
say thanks but no thanks.

Combine this with a city official who found the online amateur radio
enforcement letters at the FCC site who used that to also say thank you but we
aren't interested.

I have been told that Digital is very neat and have been at several
demonstrations. I've operated RTTY with a good friend / elmer from my club and
enjoy it immensely!

Let's all examine the named factors now that I have put them out here and try
to work with whatever we have left of a good public image. There has to be a
way for us to find some redeeming quality in spite of the bad behavior of our
ranks.