I agree with Andrei in principle and practice. I think depending on the
organization one is in, the exact skillset required does vary (frog for
example defines separate IxD, VisD, and Design Technologist roles). But
baseline skills across these areas is certainly advantageous.

I've been posting an exhaustive list of IXD - related skills every couple of
years... maybe it bears posting again now. It might be hard to acquire all
these skills with any level of proficiency, but ALL are useful in the work
we do.

INTERACTION DESIGN SKILLS & COMPETENCIES

Core Skills
  Research techniques                    (qualitative, quantitative,
when/why/how to use each)
  Ethnography and discovery          (user goals, motivations, work
patterns)
  User modeling                              (persona and scenario creation;
role-playing)
  Product design                             (product-level
interactionprinciples and concepts)
  Interaction design                         (function-level
interactionprinciples and concepts)
  Interface design                            (component-level
interactionprinciples and concepts)
  Information architecture/design    (content structure/presentation
principles)

Business Skills
  Project management
  Time management
  Stakeholder/client management
  Basic business writing (letters, email, meeting notes, summaries)

Communications Skills
  Rhetoric/persuasive writing
  Expository writing and composition
  Technical writing
  Public speaking/presenting
  Visual communication

Interpersonal Skills
  Mediation & facilitation
  Active listening
  Interviewing/observation
  Team-building/collaboration

Usability Skills
  Knowledge of usability testing methods and principles
  Knowledge of cognitive psychology principles

Media Skills
  Handling bit-depth, pixel density, and resolution issues
  Managing color palettes
  Icon (pixel-level) design
  GUI/screen layout and composition
  Page layout and composition
  Animation
  Sound design
  Prototyping (Paper, Visual Basic, HTML, Director, Flash, etc.)
  Knowledge of file formats and tradeoffs

Technical Skills
  Understanding of basic computer/programming principles, tools,
technologies
  GUI development principles, tools, technologies
  Database principles, tools, technologies
  Understanding of software/hw development processes (specs, coding,
testing)
  Knowledge of existing/new technologies and constraints
  Knowledge of mechanical engineering and manufacturing (for HW devices)

Tools Skills
  PowerPoint
  Visio / Omnigraffle
  Photoshop / Fireworks
  Illustrator
  Flash/AfterEffects
  InDesign
  Word, Excel, etc.
  Dreamweaver, etc (for web-based applications)

Personal Skills
  Empathy
  Passion
  Humor
  Skepticism
  Analytical thinking
  Ability to synthesize information  (identify salient points)
  Ability to visualize solutions (before they are built)

Robert Reimann
IxDA Seattle

Associate Creative Director
frog design