Todd, that's not entirely fair.  You can't deny that there are many
board games out there that are much better than Monopoly.  And in
general, the folks at Board Game Geek (and yes, I am one of them) are
pretty much spot on with their overall rankings, just like the folks
at IMDB are pretty good with movies.

However, one thing that you need to know is that there are a LOT of
board game snobs on the Geek, and especially a lot of Eurogame snobs
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German-style_board_game).  To them,
any game that involves rolling a die equals a bad game and good games
must be almost entirely strategy-driven.  Hence, you will see the
rankings on the site severely skewed in that direction.  But I have
as much fun playing Puerto Rico (#2 on BGG) as I do playing Killer
Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot (#2967 on BGG).  Yes,
Puerto Rico has significantly less luck involved, and as such I
typically win or at least have a chance at winning much more often,
but winning isn't the most important thing when you are playing a
game.  Heck, most of the time, it shouldn't even be in the top five
(definitely if you are playing with at least four other people).