Hmmmmm...I didn't get to do more testing until this morning.

The changes I made to SC were as follows:

Radio Station Buffer Seconds : 4  (was 3)
Radio Station Timeout : 12  (was 10)

And I set the logging as suggested..

Now the 96k Radio 4 WMA stream is running without problem!  I wonder if
there is something happening at the quantum level here...as soon as I
start observing whats going on (through logging), it starts working
;-).

I'll try putting those settings back to default and see what happens
too.  I"ve had this happen before, where the BBC Radio WMA streams
start working, when I've changed nothing, thats one thing that makes
this issue so frustrating.

--
chris.mason