1.
How do you find music in your own library ?
- Which way to you browse/search ? (which browse or search menus)

A VARIETY OF WAYS REALLY, YEARS, NEW MUSIC, ARTISTS, DECADES, RANDOM
MIX ETC. - REALLY DEPENDS WHAT MOOD I'M IN, PROBABLY NEW MUSIC &
CURRENT YEAR ARE THE MOST USED

- Which type of remote/interface do you use ? Different for different
situations ?

iPENG IS MY MAIN CONTROLLER, PLAYER INTERFACE (RADIO, BOOM & DUET) THEN
THROUGH PC INTERFACE WHEN ON THE COMPUTER (LIKE NOW!)

- Do you find music through statistics based browse menus ? (ratings,
play counts, history)

YES MY GIRLFRIEND & I HAVE A 4&5* PLAYLIST OF ALL TYPES OF MUSIC THAT
WE LIKE, WE RATE TRACKS AS WE GO AND ITS A GREAT WAY OF GETTING A
RANDOM PLAYLIST ON THE GO WITH SONGS WE LIKE (ALTHOUGH SOME DEBATE ON
WHAT TO RATE TRACKS AS!!)

- Do you find music through smart playlists based on statistics or
random selection or other kind of automatic mixes ?

I HAVE MUSICIP INSTALLED BUT DIDN'T USE IT AS MUCH AS I THOUGHT I
WOULD, I THEN HAVE SMART PLAYLISTS FOR 70S, 80S, 90S ETC.

- Do you use album art when selecting what to play ? YES
- Do you typically start searching/browsing from an artist, album or
track and want to find something related to that ? NOT REALLY, HAVE A
WIDE VARIETY OF LOOKING FOR MUSIC

2.
How do you usually find new music you like to get but currently don't
have in your library ?
- Heard it on the radio ?

OCCASIONALLY, I LISTEN TO BBC 6MUSIC AND GET TIPS FROM THAT

- Where do you start when searching ? Top charts ? Genres ? Similar
artists ?

I TEND TO GET A LOT OF NEW MUSIC FROM MUSIC MAGS AND WEBSITES ALSO TIPS
FROM FRIENDS

- Do you use some web site when searching or do you browse some music
store directly ?

AS ABOVE, GO TO SITES LIKE PITCHFORK, DROWNED IN SOUND, GIGWISE FOR NEW
MUSIC TIPS

- Are you using the computer, your Squeezebox or some other device when
searching for new music ?

YES WEBSITES

- Do you preview the music before puchasing ? Do you preview it on the
real system or cheep laptop speakers or something similar ?

I HAVE A NAPSTER SUBSCRIPTION AND USE THAT TO TRIAL BANDS

- Do you use a subscription based service so you aren't actually buying
albums, you just need to find the albums/tracks you are interested in by
browsing the service ?

I USE NAPSTER BUT STILL BUY CDS AS I WANT MUSIC IN LOSSLESS FORMAT AND
TO HAVE A PHYSICAL COPY FOR THE CAR/BACKUP

- Through reviews ? Any specific online site ?

ANSWERED ABOVE !

- Through friends ? Some community site ?

AND AGAIN :-)

3.
How would you like to be able to find music in your own library in the
future ?
- What kind of functionality is missing today related to browsing ?

SOME WAY OF LINKING TO MUSIC I HAVE IN MY LIBRARY TO MUSIC FROM AN
ARTIST ON NAPSTER IN THE SAME PLACE, SO IF I CLICKED ON 'THE KILLERS'
IT WOULD BRING UP MY LIBRARY TRACKS AND THEN LIST NAPSTER ETC. ALBUMS
UNDERNEATH, SAME WITH NEW MUSIC IT WOULD LIST THOSE OUT UNDER YOUR MAIN
HEADINGS RATHER THEN HAVING TO GO INTO NAPSTER. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT
COULD BE SWITCHED ON/OFF AS NOT FOR EVERYONE

- What kind of functionality is missing today related to searching ?

SEARCH IS FINE FOR ME

4.
How would you like to find new music you like to buy/get in the future
?
- What would you like to do through the Squeezebox/SBS or one of it's
remotes ?

YES THIS WOULD BE GOOD, SOME WAY OF HAVING MUSIC RECOMMENDATIONS/NEW
ALBUMS BY ARTISTS I ALREADY HAVE IN MY SQUEEZEBOX WOULD BE GOOD. FOR
EXAMPLE TODAY I BOUGHT AN ALBUM BY JOE BONAMASSA, I HAD AN ALBUM BY HIM
A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK BUT MISSED HE HAD A NEW ALBUM OUT IN MARCH THIS
YEAR, IF SB HAD SOME WAY OF TELLING ME THAT ARTISTS IN MY LIBRARY HAD A
NEW ALBUM OUT THAT I HADN'T GOT THAT WOULD BE GREAT - ALSO TO RECOMMEND
NEW MUSIC DIRECT IN THE INTERFACE

- What would you like to do on some other hardware ?

YES SIMILAR TO ABOVE

5.
What kind of tagging/management do you do on new music you add to your
library to make it easier to find stuff later on ?

I USE VORTEXBOX TO INITIALLY TAG MY ALBUMS THEN MP3TAG TO CLEAN UP

- Which additional tags do you add which isn't handled by standard SBS
today ?

NONE, JUST USE PRETTY STANDARD TAGS

- Is the folder structure the music files are stored in important ?

YES, ARTIST/ALBUM

- If you use Custom Scan, which additional tags do you add besides
those supported by SBS ?
- Do you manually add ratings to your music ? Why ?

AS EXPLAINED ABOVE, I RATE SONGS THROUGH IPENG/PLAYER TO USE IN
PLAYLISTS

6.
Do you synchronize the data in SBS with some other application to make
it easier to find interesting music ?
- Import statisitcs from MusicIP ?
- Export statistics to MusicIP ?
- Import files, playlists and statistics from iTunes ?
- Export statistics to iTunes ?
- Do you use some other application integrated with SBS/Squeezebox ?

USE MUSICIP BUT NOT AS OFTEN AS I THOUGHT, DON'T USE ITUNES OR ANYTHING
ELSE

--
socistep