There forums are effectively self-moderating and I'd prefer they stayed
that way.  If someone posts something over the top, what usually
happens is that there are some reasoned posts in response, often a
helping hand or two, and in most cases the problem is resolved.  In my
experience, the OP will normally either retract or moderate the
original complaint, even so far as editing the original post.

However, if people pile in and respond in kind to the inflamatory
nature of the original post, you inevitably go down a flame-baiting
route (my occasional forays into the Audiophile forum suggest so,
anyway).

If something is truly offensive and derogatory it tends to get deleted
by the admins.  My personal level of offensive includes gratuitous use
of swear words - I know some may not agree with that, but I think the
admins should take a pretty strict view.  There was a recent post that
I found pretty offensive and upsetting not because of the content but
only because of the language (and particularly the instruction to "get
over it" if I didn't like it).  It was deleted, however the OP has
since said he would have amended to remove the language in any event.

One of the most effective posts I have ever seen on here was someone
responding to a very over-the-top first post with (paraphrasing here)
"-Hi and welcome to the forums.  Sorry to hear you're having problems.
I have a few ideas, but posting stuff like that doesn't make me want to
spend my time helping you.  This is a user forum not an official support
forum, so you may want to try SD Support in the meantime, as I expect a
lot of other regulars will feel the same way as me when they see your
post-".

My take is that, if we want to keep these forums the way that most of
us like them (a place to exchange ideas, get help and learn stuff we
didn't know) then we have it in our gift to try and keep it that way.

--
Siduhe