OK, so I am eating humble pie and recognise that Logitech support isn't
so different from any other kind of support. I guess it's the basic
principal that a fresh instal is always the best way to start - even
with a complex system like slimserver/squeezecenter.

If being asked to do a clean instal was accompanied by a note that all
server settings would be lost, it might make it less potentially
troublesome. Perhaps advice on how to backup settings (if that is
possible) could also be given before being requested to do a clean
instal. That's what really bugs me ~ a blanket piece of advice, without
a warning that settings will be lost, and no hint as how to back up
those settings.

--
snoogly