(please note that these are my personal thoughts, not official Logitech
statements!)

> I am running Mandriva (32 bit).  I think that Red Hat and Novell/Suse
> (and the vast majority of commercial users of Linux in the US) will be
> quite surprised to hear that any Linux other than a Debian-based one is
> now esoteric.

I only wanted to point out the fact that "normal user" is very loose
definition. I'm sorry you didn't get the irony I tried to put in my posting.

Sure enought all those distros by far are not esoteric. But I'd bet 99% of the
users out there wouldn't even know what Mandriva is. Why? Because they don't
care. They're "normal users". And their computers come with Windows
pre-installed.

> Anyway, the point was not that there was a code problem, the point was
> that tech support didn't provide a *single* useful suggestion about how
> to go about finding out what was wrong.

And my point was to point out that support will never try to understand 100% of
all problems. They concentrate on the vast majority ("normal users"). You can't
expect a Linux/Perl/whatever guru on every phone - you wouldn't want to cover
the cost of such a tech support.

> However, based on my experience,
> tech support is completely useless.  You saying that was simply because
> I wasn't running Windows, etc., does nothing to inspire confidence;
> quite the opposite.

If they can help 99% of the users, because they're using Windows or OSX, what's
wrong with it?

Please don't get me wrong. I'm the last one to recommend Windows as a SC
server. But blaming support of being ignorent, just because they don't know
your Linux distro, is expecting too much. Stick with Windows and you'll have a
simple installation and knowledgeable support. That's just how it is. Once
Mandrake has the market share of Windows, I'm sure support will be up to task
debugging your issue. Ubuntu is almost there.

--

Michael