On 21.09.2015 19:48, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> On 09/21/2015 08:09 AM, mray wrote:

>>> I'm not sure about the dynamicness of "we fund" over "funding". I really
>>> like the "ing", however, I agree about the collective / join us issue.
>>>
>>> I wish it wasn't as long, but the feeling of togetherness is better
>>> spelled out. Ignoring length, "Working together to fund the digital
>>> commons" is the best way to completely get all the meaning. Another
>>> would be "collective funding of the digital commons" or "social funding
>>> for the digital commons" or "coming together to fund the digital
>>> commons" or, how about: "join us in funding the digital commons!" or
>>> shorter version of that, "fund the digital commons with us!" or, I like
>>> this best of my little brainstorm here: "help us fund the digital
>>> commons!" variations of that: "help fund the digital commons" or "let's
>>> fund the digital commons" …
>>>
>>> I'm not opposed to "we" entirely, but I would like to get feedback from
>>> others and see what others think of variations like I just posted.
>>>

>> I don't like recruiting in the slogan. "join us...", "help us..." is a
>> bit like begging right from the start.
>> The slogan should not be about what we want people to do, but about what
>> we do.
>>

> "Help us" sounds a more like begging than just "Help". "Help us free the
> commons" sounds more hard-sell vs "Help free the commons".
>
> I'm very much in favor of: "Snowdrift.coop: Help free the commons".
>
> It comes across both as a welcome inclusive call to action and what we
> do. It can even work as the answer to "What do you do?": "[we] help [to]
> free the commons"
>
> the long version of this is "we help the community in freeing the commons"
>
> All this said, I basically disagree that "help us" is bad or detracts
> from what we do.

I think "help" in any combination has too strong ties to bad
associations. If we can, we should avoid it. Help is where suffering and
distress are. Help is what everybody asks for and you're morally obliged
to give, but you don't. I think we don't want to go there with our slogan.

> Now, if we break this down to it's utter core and drop even this nuance,
> we're left with what actually seems pretty solid:
>
> FREE THE COMMONS
>
> That's it. Total chant, rallying cray, *verb*, uses "free" but without
> the confusion… I feel good about it the moment I just wrote that…

Instant like. This looks really good to me.
Why didn't you suggest so right from the start! :D
In a way it even fits our shovel+snow theme.

Some parts are obviously not represented, but it compresses our whole
issue down to a catchy phrase.

I also like how it is a bit bold, like it is the calm answer to the
furious question "look what is happening in our culture! what could
possibly be done about that?"

And it is short.