I feel quite sad reading this thread. Good luck completing 1.2. I only wish
I had time and energy to contribute. I suggest the core team ignore the
thread for now if at all possible.

On 17 Apr 2010 14:47, "Russell Keith-Magee" <freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM, George Sakkis <george.sak...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Apr 17, 5:35 am...
For the record, there are 62 tickets marked ready for checkin, not 400
[1]. 29 of those are documentation and translation patches (5 of which
are specifically marked for inclusion in 1.2).

[1]
http://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&order=priority&stage=Ready+for+checkin

On top of that, the Ready For Checkin status doesn't mean that a
member of the core team has reviewed a patch. It means that someone --
anyone -- thinks the patch is ready for checkin. There's no guarantee
that a Ready For Checkin patch is *actually* ready for checkin. If you
do a survey of the Ready For Checkin patches, you'll find tickets that
don't have test cases, or add features that aren't documented, or make
a significant changes that haven't been discussed on django-dev. If I
were to sit down and work through that list, I guarantee I wouldn't
end up making 62 commits to trunk using the material that has been
provided on those tickets.

I would also point out the folly of looking at raw ticket counts.
Python (the language) has 1078 tickets in the "having patch" status,
and 96 in the "needing review" status. Does this mean that Python is a
project in crisis?

Yes, there is a ticket backlog. Yes, this means there is a lot of work
that needs to be done. What we need is people volunteering to actually
do that work. However, as I've already indicated in this thread, much
of that work could be done without any change in current project
policy - we just needs people to actually do the work.

My dream outcome would to be in the situation where I don't *ever*
have to spend time on Trac trying to work out if the ticket that has
been marked Ready For Checkin is *actually* ready for checkin. Give me
a rich vein of trunk ready tickets that has been reviewed by someone
whose reputation I know and trust, and believe me -- I will use it.

> Healthy projects don't need a separately maintained fork/branch on
> github or bitbucket just to ...
The flipside of this is that too many cooks spoil the broth. If we
want to maintain a high quality product, we can't just add a dozen new
developers to the core team.

I would also point out that even in projects that do have large teams
with the commit bit, access to the "core trunk" is generally only made
available to a restricted subset of the entire team. Alternatively,
some sort of code review process is used to ensure that multiple team
members (occasionally, specially blessed team members) check patches
before they are committed. There's a lot more to commit policies in
open source than raw team size.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)