On Apr 17, 5:35 am, "Tom X. Tobin" <tomxto...@tomxtobin.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
>
> <freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, at this point, I would like to tell you a story about four
> > people named Everybody,  Somebody, Anybody, Nobody.
>
> This is exactly why I try not to bitch too much about Django's
> development process.  It's very easy to complain, but it's not quite
> so easy to "shut up and show me the code".

My point is that unfortunately this is not enough. The 400 languishing
patches have been submitted by people who did exactly that, they "shut
up and showed the code", possibly without ever complaining in this
list. And not only that but their patches (or some percentage of them
at any rate) have been "accepted" or became "ready for checkin" at
some point. How come a developer finds the time to review a patch,
accept it, consider it ready for checkin but not actually commit it ?

Healthy projects don't need a separately maintained fork/branch on
github or bitbucket just to review and apply patches. They open up
their gates and they invite more contributors to the development
process (in a controlled manner of course) so that they can keep up
with the increasing volume of external contributions.

George