"Jason Buchanan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang

I was lucky years ago with "self healing" (drying of wafers) from spray
cleaners.  Reports are that the rig in question is already working a bit
better (likely from the DeOxit drying our of the wafers). Jason is not
saying anything more then give it some time before rushing into what is a
real pain at best, and potentially a disaster at worse with fixes to the
ill fated fix.

Well, when the guy told me that he did this I thought he was nuts but his
explanation for not being "worried" was that the material in the Drake rigs
was not as spongy/porous like the old stuff used in TV sets in the 50s.  He
also said it was nearly impossible to keep it off of the switch material
because it penetrates and seeps like gun oil ruins bullets when the the oil
seeps past the primer (but then again I wouldn't store bullets for long
periods of time in my guns but that's a different topic altogether).

Me, personally, I think i'm going to wait until I have a chance to go by Ace
Hardware and pick up some of that 97% denatured alcohol to have handy if I
make a mess trying to clean my R-4B.  By the looks of it I may try attaching
one small drop of Deoxit on two of the switch contacts and work the stuff
through the switch that way...  but as black as they are I don't see how i'm
going to make any difference with so little cleaning solution for so much
black goo.  Some of those places on the 2nd and 3rd switch are pretty
cramped - I don't think I could get half a q-tip in there!  But i'm in
R-4/T-4 heaven now so the B line will get to age a bit longer first.

73 Jason N1SU

--
Jason Buchanan - Boxboro, MA
Website: http://n1su.com/