Hi!

Ralph Glasstetter wrote:

>>Theoretically, the file should now be portable between Windows and
>>Linux. But in my case, it's not even portable between Linux and Linux :-(
>

> You mean between 2 Linuxes with different encodings?

No, between a single Linux and itself.

>>>So it seems to me that the translation back to the correct name (used to
>>>open the video) did not work... and so trying to open Ã-Ã"Üßöäü.ts
>>>where it should be ÖÄÜßöäü.ts.
>>
>>Maybe this depends on how you mount the foreign (NTFS?) file system.
>

> No, as I wrote... it's FAT32 on a USB-Disk (used from WinXP and/or Linux).

If you didn't use any strange mount options on Linux, that should be okay.

> The encoded file name under Linux is always the same... writing on my
> ReiserFS
> system disk or FAT32 USB-Drive does not matter!
>

>>>I re-checked the behaviour under Windows... both openings (Video and
>>>Project) with Umlaut's work there. After that I tried the Windows project
>>>file under Linux, and after changing the path to linux-style THAT Project
>>>file worked also under Linux!!!
>>
>>Hmm... did you use cifs/smbfs? I'm not sure if it uses UTF-8 by default.
>

> No,  it's a dualboot system and the disk is connected to USB and mounted by
> the automounter from Suse (with option utf8).

That option is not documented for FAT, only for NTFS. I guess it has no
effect. But "iocharset" and "codepage" might.

>>In the linux file, the characters have been converted twice. But maybe
>>that's due to e-mail transport quirks. The windows files seem to be
>>encoded correctly.
>
> Yes, that's why I also can use them under Linux... after changing the paths.
>
> I attached them as tarball so the mailer can't change anything... just in
> case... but I've the feeling that this double convertion is home made!

Hmm... after saving them to disk, all of the files you sent yesterday
were correctly encoded.

The Linux file inside the tarball is broken, though. Its name is
correctly encoded (UTF-8), but its contents are double converted.

>>>PS: Hope SF.net will deliver that mail...
>>
>>It did. You never see your own posts on the list.
>

> Hmmm,... I can see all my own posts on the list..

Ugh... my fault - of course you can.
My thoughts were on the wrong list ;-)

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>