Agreed...
No offense to Steve or the companies that provide this service (as it benefits
smaller shops) but would add:
a) added time, complexity, expense and inflexibility of changes/new
development
b) takes the partner out of 'Trading Partner'.
Often there are charges to partners for testing when expenses really
should be shared expenses between partners trying to optimize the pipeline
(each does their own part)
c) once in bed with a a 3rd party, performance parameters often change and it
is expensive to bring it back in-house.
Steve Moses
Systems Analyst
Iomega Corporation
(303) 681-2593
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
________________________________
From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Earl
Wertheimer
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:20 AM
To: Steve; [email protected]
Subject: RE: [EDI-L] Re: Software and installation instructions?
Steve
Because:
1) We don't want to depend on a 3rd party to host the information.
2) We don't want to rely on the internet to have access to our own data.
3) It's confidential and we don't trust a 3rd party.
4) We want to manipulate the data ourselves.
5) We don't want to keep paying a 3rd party to host and handle our stuff.
I'm sure others can think of more reasons.
To: "'Laurie Englehart'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:gardedi%40yahoo.com>>, <EDI-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:L%40yahoogroups.com>>
From: "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:steve.montgomery%40ecediltd.com>>
Date sent: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:13:34 -0400
Subject: RE: [EDI-L] Re: Software and installation instructions?
> The real question is WHY is anyone still installing EDI software?
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: [email protected]<mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com>
> [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of
> Laurie Englehart
> Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:54 AM
> To: [email protected]<mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [EDI-L] Re: Software and installation instructions?
>
>
>
>
> Company was 1EDISource
> Software was their 852 Reporting Tool
>
> I was a little surprised myself when I discovered that the software
> did not come with installation instructions. If I knew how to post a
> screen shot here, I would provide a screen of what I am able to see.
>
> I do have to give the support lady credit, she did provide for me the
> help file but that did not contain any installation information.
>
> To me, it looks like the disk that I received is not the most current
> version of the software. The "newest" date on the files contained on
> the disk is 4/15/2003
>
> The setup.stf file has this:
> App Name 852 Reporting
> App Version 2002-07-29 15:00:43
> Frame Caption 852 Reporting Setup
> Dialog Caption Base 852 Reporting
> Usage String Usage: Setup
> About Box String Copyright, 1 EDI Source, Inc., 2000, All
> Rights Reserved\n\nThis installation was created using the Visual
> FoxPro Setup Wizard.
>
> And a README.TXT buried within a folder has this:
> 852 Reporting Build 1.1.5 for Windows 98/NT/2000/Me
> Read Me 11/08/2002
> Copyright (c) 2000-2001, 1 EDI Source, Inc. All rights reserved.
>
> This patch updates 852 Reporting version 1.1.X to version 1.1.5.
>
> ****note the lack of Windows XP and the date is 6 years old.*****
>
> I was also told prior to purchase that this software would provide
> for us 9 unique reports. The reports listed on the disk total 6. When
> I had installed the software how I thought it should be done, I was
> able to retrieve only 4 unique reports and 2 that were duplicates.
>
> The setup.inf only lists 6 reports...
>
> I requested from the sales rep multiple times what the current
> version number is supposed to be to make sure that I received what I
> was supposed to but I keep getting the same answer, that I had
> refused to purchase support hours and they can't help me unless I pay.
>
> --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:EDI-L%40yahoogroups.com> com, Dave Records
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Laurie, It would be very beneficial to all of us on this list if
> we
> > knew what the software was. I've never encountered that type of
> > situation in 10 years of EDI consulting.
> >
> > Dave Records
> >
> >
> >
> > Records Consulting, LLC
> > Grand Rapids, MI
> > Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Aug 20, 2008, at 8:19 AM, Laurie Englehart wrote:
> >
> > > I have come across an unusual situation, at least it is a
> situation
> > > that I have not come across in the past 10 years of doing this EDI
> > > thing.
> > >
> > > I purchased a certain software and upon receiving the software,
> the
> > > installation instructions for this software was not included. It
> did
> > > include a LOT of advertising for their other offerings, but
> nothing
> > > on the installation of the product. I thought this was quite odd
> > > since even extrememly simple programs include some kind of
> > > installation instructions.
> > > I contacted the sales rep on many occasions asking to receive the
> > > installation instructions. When that was refused, I asked the rep
> to
> > > verify what the current version of this software was supposed to
> be
> > > so that I could verify that I have received the current version.
> That
> > > also has been refused.
> > >
> > > This is what I have been offered, I can purchase 10 hours of
> support
> > > so that they can install it for me (what happens when I have
> system
> > > failure as I did just recently and had to replace my HDD??) or I
> can
> > > receive a refund for the purchase. I am obviously going to
> request a
> > > refund, the software is useless to me without being able to
> install
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else come across a company that will not provide
> software
> > > version or installation instructions without paying $2,000 in
> > > unneeded support? Or have I just been spoiled by Sterling
> Commerce,
> > > Inovis, etc that they actually provide installation instructions
> as
> > > well as the software version that you have received?
> > >
> > > Thanks!!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> ...
> Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>,
> <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
>
> Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS>
> IS REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature
> database 3371 (20080820) __________
>
> The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
Earl Wertheimer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:earlw%40spe-edi.com>
http://www.spe-edi.com
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------------------
...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>,
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>
Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix.Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/