On 2021-01-30 20:34:-0800, kevinr wrote:
>�  After reading many recommendations for the Sony MDR-7506 headphones I
>bought a pair.�  <snip> They came with an adapter for the plug to switch from
>1/8" to 3/8".�  That is not unusual, what is new is the way it connects.�
>Instead of simply plugging on there are a few threads so the adapter is firmly
>attached if needed.

This is the adapter that broke off in my Kenwood TS-830S. I had figured Sony =
solid construction, but not quite so. It didn't take much tugging to snap it
off. I had used it with other more modern 1/4" jacks with no problem. I think
that it is a quality adapter for today, but I suspect that the Kenwood jack is
simply stronger stuff. The internals of the Sony adapter are plastic, and
simply snapped when I tried to remove the adapter. I then purchased a U-Green
adapter...not sure if it will be the same, but I will likely insert it and
leave it there. I still have my older headset with the 1/4" plug, but I prefer
the newer Sony sets, and that way I can simply plug the 3.5 mm into the
adapter. It occurred to me after I reassembled the Kenwood (disassembly to
remove broken end) that there may be corrosion on the jack that causes
sticking. I didn't note a loss of sound quality, but after all it's just
limited bandwidth audio.

~R~
72/73 de Rich NE1EE
The Dusty Key