Good Evening,

   Two of three storms has passed through.  Luckily, there was little freezing rain, but there was a moderate amount of snow.  A foot so far but nothing like what's going on south and east of me.  Skiing in the Cascades will be good.

  I built a new computer recently.  I bought my first one in 1978.  1.774 MHz with 16 kilobytes of RAM.  The new one has 8 cores running at 3.6 GHz with 32 gigabytes of RAM.  A 16,000 fold increase in speed and a 2,000,000 increase in main memory. Another 16,000 x increase in speed would be nice :)

   No sunspots are visible.  There is a stream of solar wind.  I expect QSB from that as well as some noise.  But more ions are good.  They just need a little discipline.  Watching aurora displays helps you see the magnetic field of earth.  At first the aurora was a disordered blotch but after an hour the field forced the colors into sheets and streamers.  I saw thin streaks shooting from the north all the way to the southern horizon for an hour, then the curtains appeared.  As the storm progressed the colors spread across the whole sky in an orderly fashion.  SW Wisconsin circa 1975.

Hopefully the power will remain on tonight and tomorrow.  We shall see.

Please join us tomorrow on:

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday  (2 PM PST Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0000z Monday  (4 PM PST Sunday)

73,

   Kevin. KD5ONS

-

“Tell him: ‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”