Good Evening,

  We had a week of sunspots.  Solar flux is up slightly with some auroral activity.  The sun is also rising earlier and setting later.  Buds are forming on my lilacs.  The hummingbird left during the last few weeks of snow.  It is almost time for them to come back :)

   I am a curious person, or so I've been told.  I try to write efficient code.  What began as a brute force search method using five lines, has grown.  First, a binning data structure gave me improved performance, with a search taking 16 lines of code.  But only about a 5x increase in speed.  Edge, face, and corner cases were devouring processor cycles like they were free.  While taking a shower, I thought of unrolling the loops to create a search tree, then pruning for edge, face, and corner effects.  I found the speed I wanted, with an 8x increase (40x from brute force). However, the code is now 257 lines long.  At this rate, the search will run instantaneously when I have written infinite lines of code.

Please join us tomorrow on:

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday  (2 PM PST Sunday)
 7047 kHz at 0000z Monday  (4 PM PST Sunday)

73,

   Kevin. KD5ONS

-

Life is strange.  You can get famous for creating a list of non-cometary objects.