>Well because if I am expected to adopt X, I will do it when it runs right 
>without quitting every time I open two apps together. I think having this 
>setup bogs down the system.. at least on my machine it does. So when I 
>use X I want it to be X-Clean.

But what does this have to do with getting rid of Classic?!? Classic is 
an X program... so it is already "X-Clean". And again, if you don't want 
to use it, don't use it.

I think you are missing the point. Saying that Apple needs to get rid of 
Classic because you don't want to use it is like saying Apple needs to 
get rid of iTunes because you don't want to use it. Classic is just an 
application, and it is run ONLY on your request.

>Because, it confuses people! 

Who does it confuse? From a debugging standpoint, you have simply added 2 
steps to working with Classic. 

1: Is the person running a classic application. That is determined by 
asking them to look in the right hand side of the menu bar. Is the 
Application Menu there? If so, they are in a Classic application. If it 
isn't, then they are in a native X application.

2: If determined that they are in a Classic application, you need to know 
how to use the Classic control panel for force quitting and/or restarting 
Classic.

EVERYTHING else regarding classic is handled the same way OS 9 is 
handled. There is an OS 9 system folder, and when Classic boots, it gives 
you the standard OS 9 Mac booting screen, including allowing you access 
to the extension manager and holding down SHIFT to disable extensions.

There are a few control panels that can't be used in Classic, and those 
that can't tell you so when you try to use it, and have obvious counter 
parts in OS X's Control Panels (now dubbed System Preferences, which is 
actually a much more logical name for what they do).

And outside of debugging, Classic in my opinion makes things LESS 
confusing as you can continue to run your old applications without worry. 
You don't have to go thru the effort of figuring out what is carbon, 
cocoa, coffee, tea, milk, or whatever. You just double click an 
application, if Classic is needed, it starts, and the application runs.

>It's a bloody nightmare to do tech support 
>for X. The people that I help are barely able to get around in 9 but at 
>least when they call me, I have everything memorized and can direct them 
>to the spot that need attention. In X, there are so many files and folder 
>strewn everywhere and with the same names, it's impossible to direct them 
>over the phone as to what to do to fix a problem.
>X needs to be pared down, drastically, if Apple wants to claim the rights 
>to "ease of use" ever  again!

Well, I wouldn't call it a nightmare... but it is certainly harder than 
OS 9. 

BUT... again, this has NOTHING to do with the existance of Classic. I 
think you are missing what my point was... that you said you want Classic 
to vanish ASAP, and that make absolutely no sense at all. The existance 
of Classic has no bearing on the OS X issues that you seem to have. Like 
I said, you might as well take out your frustrations on iTunes, since it 
makes as much sense to want that to go away.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

___________________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe send a mail message with a SUBJECT line of "unsubscribe" to
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  or  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to