gene heskett wrote:
>> Some customers drop on a couple of cable
>> ties as well just as extra security from knocks.
>
> Metal ties?, or the common 100 to the bag I can get, and have in stock from
> Lowes.  They will relax, eventually I've found.

Plastic ones, but it's one of those items that you have to keep an eye on, just
like damage to the cables ...

>> I'm normally fixing to new motors, and I've converted quite a number.
>> Roughen up the backside of the box and a quick wipe with solvent always
>> seems to work.
>
> Solvent = alcohol I assume.  Acetone or MEK would remove the paint I'd
> think.

PCB cleaner ;) I've a big tin from when I used to do a lot more PCB's manually

> Anyway, that open frame psu is ordered, along with a 120vac 125 cfm ball
> bearing fan.  That /should/ cool the whole thing once I find a box to put
> it all in.  And should run much quieter that those screaming 90mm models
> turning 7-8 grand I am using now.  I'll get a sheet of alu from the
> recyclers to mount the stuff on which should enhance the heat handling&
> make a box to flow the air through a filter I can see&  change.

If you are replacing the PSU, I would have gone with one that gave 42 or so
volts ... 500W 30V toroidal transformer + bridge and cap is all you need.
http://medw.co.uk/articles/read.php?article_id=12
No fan - just a 6mm Aluminium heatsink on the bottom, but I would add the fan
for 4.2Amp continuous working, the 180Ncm motors run 3Amp and the controller
does not get too hot over hours, but the British weather helps keep things cool
:) - Of cause adding the fan does let the dust in ...

> Now for a BOB with opto driving buffers, I have another msg about that here
> someplace.  ;-)
You don't need any more opto-islation on the stepper drivers, just a simple
buffer between the computer and the existing opti-isolation on your new
drivers.
Adding more 'slow edges' just detracts from performance? I opted to drop any
optos on the BOB so the mains outlets are solid state relays as well, but the
ITX motherboards need a good buffer before any opto-isolators and many off the
shelf BOB's don't work reliably with them. But I though you already had a
suitable BOB?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL