On Monday, August 01, 2011 07:59:44 AM Lester Caine did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> >> Some customers drop on a couple of cable
> >> ties as well just as extra security from knocks.
> >
> > Metal ties?, or the common 100 to the bag I can get, and have in stock
> > from Lowes.  They will relax, eventually I've found.
>
> Plastic ones, but it's one of those items that you have to keep an eye
> on, just like damage to the cables ...
>
> >> I'm normally fixing to new motors, and I've converted quite a number.
> >> Roughen up the backside of the box and a quick wipe with solvent
> >> always seems to work.
> >
> > Solvent = alcohol I assume.  Acetone or MEK would remove the paint I'd
> > think.
>
> PCB cleaner ;) I've a big tin from when I used to do a lot more PCB's
> manually
>
> > Anyway, that open frame psu is ordered, along with a 120vac 125 cfm
> > ball bearing fan.  That /should/ cool the whole thing once I find a
> > box to put it all in.  And should run much quieter that those
> > screaming 90mm models turning 7-8 grand I am using now.  I'll get a
> > sheet of alu from the recyclers to mount the stuff on which should
> > enhance the heat handling& make a box to flow the air through a
> > filter I can see&  change.
>
> If you are replacing the PSU, I would have gone with one that gave 42 or
> so volts ... 500W 30V toroidal transformer + bridge and cap is all you
> need. http://medw.co.uk/articles/read.php?article_id=12
> No fan - just a 6mm Aluminium heatsink on the bottom, but I would add
> the fan for 4.2Amp continuous working, the 180Ncm motors run 3Amp and
> the controller does not get too hot over hours, but the British weather
> helps keep things cool
>
> :) - Of cause adding the fan does let the dust in ...
> :
> > Now for a BOB with opto driving buffers, I have another msg about that
> > here someplace.  ;-)
>
> You don't need any more opto-islation on the stepper drivers, just a
> simple buffer between the computer and the existing opti-isolation on
> your new drivers. Adding more 'slow edges' just detracts from
> performance? I opted to drop any optos on the BOB so the mains outlets
> are solid state relays as well, but the ITX motherboards need a good
> buffer before any opto-isolators and many off the shelf BOB's don't
> work reliably with them. But I though you already had a suitable BOB?

But then I lose that when the xylotex board leaves.  Looking at the
cnc4pc's C1G as it looks like it has all the bells and whistles I /might/
need.  Just programmable buffers, no opto's, tally leds all over.  It
should do the job.

That is some neat packaging Lester.  And is similar to what I have in mind.
I need to scout for, humm, I may have it in the basement, in the form of a
floppy drive tower made out of 1/8" and 1/4" alu.  The idea being to use
the fan to distribute the heat so no external openings need be used, just
the hot box itself.  I might check to see if Dave has any more of those
heat sinks I flattened the bottom of so he could test transmitter modules,
that would be ideal and no fan required at all.

Cheers, gene
Not everything worth doing is worth doing well.