Mark Cason wrote:

>    a few years ago, i saw a prototyping machine, that used a syringe, to
> deposit solder directly onto a SMD pad.  It basically touched down on a
> pad, and then deposited a tiny amount of solder, while retracting.
> then, it rewound the syringe's stepper, a couple steps, to keep solder
> from dripping.  It was slow, but it worked.  The company folded, and I
> never could find out what happened to that machine.  I know that it
> worked on 0805, and SOT packaging, whether it worked on anything finer,
> I never saw.

Yes, air over syringe pistons and a kind of dual screw pump are used for
solder paste
dispensing in production machines.  There must be 50 companies making
these machines,
either stand alone or as add-ons to pick and place machines.  I think
Manncorp and
Madell might be some of the US makers or distributors.

Jon