ceen...@in-front.com wrote:
> The vision is to spend 1-2 hours programming a printer then let it loose on
> the boards.  A typical board run for me is 200 pcs.
I have never done 200 boards in a run, but may have a job that big
soon.  I will get the boards
panelized and do them 20 - 30 at a time.  (This is a tiny board, about 2
postage stamps in size.)
I make my own stencils for these.  It is kind of a pain, but I'm CHEAP!
>   I agree with printer maintenance.  Mark recommended a peristaltic pump.  I
> do like those.  A short piece of small high quality tubing is easily disposed
> of.  Mark also provided this link as an alternative method to the jet head:
> http://www.nordson.com/en-us/divisions/asymtek/Documents/Articles/2008_07_SMT_advanced_solder%20paste_NordsonASYMTEK.pdf

I have some doubts that plastic tubing can develop the required pressure
to dispense solder
paste.  Having tried this with syringes and relatively small needles, it
takes a LOT of pressure
to make the paste flow.  Several hundreds of PSI for sure.  I think the
tubing would just
bulge a bit more and not be able to stay pinched shut by the rollers.
There is a kind of
constrained peristaltic pump, where the tubing is pinched between a
roller and a housing,
but these are tougher on the tubing, and if the pressure backs up, the
tubing just bursts.
Also, you have to worry about mashing the solder spheres together into
flakes, etc.

Finally, I can't imagine anything with a single dispense nozzle being
very fast.  I think it
would easily be the slowest machine in your line.

Jon