Andy,
     Honestly man I have no idea.   As I said there ARE NO DRIVES LOL.. It
is gutted.  I only have a single X axis motor and some wiring in this
beast. The rest was sacrificed to the parts gods on ebay by the previous
owner I guess.  I posted the information on the motor I got from an
engineer at Parker yesterday on the IRC.  He said it was a servomotor, I
asked him if it was a DC servomotor and he just answered it's  a servomotor
whatever that means. I have some information on it but as I said I wanted
to have matched motors and drives on both axes so if I needed to buy
another one of these same motors it would probably cost a  fortune. I think
my best bet is to probably sell this X motor and buy two motor and drive
combos like I did on the CIncinatti build. That has turned out to be a good
decision for me and it made things a helluva lot simpler. I like simple.
Peace

Pete

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 October 2014 16:55,  <p...@wpnet.us> wrote:
> > If it has old resolvers I'd just replace those with some new inexpensive
> encoders
>
> I would suggest that that would be a downgrade. Buying resolvers new
> would be needlessly extravagant, they cost a fortune, but if you
> already have them then they are superior to encoders.
>
> In this case the existing drives probably use the resolvers for
> commutation too. (which might be a problem, as the Mesa Resolver card
> expects to be providing the excitation. However the drive quite
> possibly won't notice if the excitation is swapped to the LinuxCNC
> interface hardware.).
> Pete: Do you know if the drives use Hall sensors for commutation, use
> the resolvers for commutation, and pass-through the sine/cosine, or
> use the resolver and pass out synthetic encoder pulses?
>
> --
> atp
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto