On Wed, 29 Oct 2014, p...@wpnet.us wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:45:20 -0500
> From: p...@wpnet.us
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Lathe conversion with Mesa 5i25 / 7i76
>
> I think the term brushless was inadvertently use initially. I can't debate
> the merits of resolvers vs. encoders, but is anyone building new machines
> using resolvers these days? In my mind at least if it has resolvers it's
> older and unlikely to have brushless motors.

Resolvers are often used with brushless motors as they provide commutation
information. Resolvers are less used nowadays that high resolution serial
absolute encoders are available, but still the sensor of choice when
ruggedness or wide temperture range is important.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)