> The white pla is not the same stuff as the black, by a hell of a long row
of apple trees.  Where the black is a brittle as can be cold, the white
is much more forgiving,  . . .

Back in about 1977, I got told the black plastic was the first that was
recycled.
The people doing the recycling needed a consistent colour in their product,
and hid the recycling by changing the colour to black.
The quantity of additives needed to mask the multiple colours of the source
plastic changed the properties of the plastic at the same time.

Sounds as though the same thing is happening today.

James Isaac.