On Thursday 20 August 2020 00:54:07 Bruce Layne wrote:

> I'm starting to use larger quantities of filament in a small but
> growing 3D print farm.  I'd love to find someplace where I could buy
> 10-100 kg of filament per order and be assured of good quality and
> good pricing, but I've been surprised that my initial investigations
> have been mostly fruitless.  Maybe my search-fu is weak, but it looks
> like online sources aren't much better than Amazon.
>
> I did stumble across MakeShaper.com.  I recently placed an order for
> two 2.25kg reels of ABS filament.  With the discount code from their
> website and free shipping, it was 1.62 cents per gram, probably the
> least expensive filament I've purchased, and it prints like a dream.
> It's the only filament I've ever used that doesn't dribble when the
> nozzle is preheated, but it prints very well without stringing or
> blobs.  It doesn't have the styrene smell of other ABS filament when
> printing.  The filament feeds reliably from the spool and the diameter
> in both reels is always 1.74mm or 1.75mm - much higher tolerance than
> other brands.  The 84th part just finished of a 100 part order.  In 30
> minutes, the part will contract and separate from the glass plate.
> I'll lift it from the bed effortlessly, apply a few milliliters of
> glue juice (10 grams of Elmer's XTreme glue stick dissolved in 500 ml
> of distilled water), I'll spread the glue juice on the glass bed with
> a nylon bristle brush and press Print Another Copy.  Easy peasey.
> Having good filament is important to reliable and trouble free 3D
> printing.  I'm sure bad filament is the source of a lot of frustration
> and failed prints.

And that consideration may be part of why no one is stocking "in depth",
because this stuff absorbs moisture. O of the things I noted when I
opened up a roll of white PLA was that the other stuff comes vacuum
sealed in a heavy poly bag with a pill bottle sized bag of dessicant,
this white had a big bag stuffed into the reel core with about 4 or 6x
the silica gel the cheap stuff comes with.

> If anyone has a good source of quality 3D printing filament at a good
> price, particularly TPU, I'd love to hear your suggestion.

I'm still trying to control adhesion, I am damaging the glass chiseling
my prints loose.  I do have 2 of these drive things running now, and I
was going to try a 40C bed at 190C for the last flexgear, but that still
blocked the flow, and it wasn't till I warmed up the extruder to 210
that the flow motor stopped complaining.

Thanks for any hints on how to reliably control the adhesion with white
PLA.  Its sticking way too good.

 - Louis D. Brandeis