Lots of snippage, to avoid making it super long to wade through all the
stuff that has been said before to get to the new bits.  Hope I did not
mess up the attributions.

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:10:24 -0400 Youness Alaoui
<kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Carsten Haitzler
> <ras...@rasterman.com>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 00:17:01 -0400 Youness Alaoui
> > <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> said:
> >
> > > we say "we'll release next week, start building packages" then
> > > 100 or 200 commits get sent in that single week (seriously). A
> > > deadline is a
> >
> > i've seen the reverse. deadlines come, deadlines go. no action.
> >
> sure, but the most 'popular' behavior is people work best under
> pressure and deadlines help achieve that and get things done.

Some people do, some don't.  It's certainly a very short term
management strategy though, that ignores that this sort of thing can
and does stress people out.  Stressed out people don't do their best.
So such a management style might be popular for the managers, but the
people being stressed tend to bitch about it.

> > i don't know - maybe you have spare time. i am in negative time
> > land. i have
> > zero left to spare. i barely get enough sleep - if it were not for
> > weekends, i
> > wouldn't. i am time poor. i dont have luxury like that. a half-done
> > webiste thats then abandoned then causes me to use more time i
> > didnt even have to begin
> > with - so something else suffers (sleep, work, or other e
> > development). i help
> > out a bit where i can - but i wanted him to do his work in parallel
> > without it
> > affecting the main site until it's ready.
> >
> nope, I'm in negative time land too, I think most of us are. I think
> your issue is that you should learn to delegate more, you can't do
> everything, and delegating is a big part of leading a project.

The point raster is trying to make is that delegating, which raster
does do, is useless if the delgatee does not do the work.  I'm guilty
of this myself.  My life got in the way of E stuff, even though I was
being paid for it, so I dropped my E responsibilities a while back.  I
had some large E things I was looking after.

Now I'm doing a little bit here and there, again mostly to support
stuff I'm being paid to do.  I wont take on any big E responsibilities
though.  Well, unless someone pays me a fair fee for doing the virtual
world project I'm currently dedicating my spare time to.  Since I want
to use EFL for that.

> And as I've been told numerous times "a release is free".. what is it
> that you lose when you do a release, what's so important and critical
> about having a release ?

API lock in.  Configuration file compatibility lock in.  These things
are important if you actually like your users.  Lock in is not free, it
removes freedom.

> Yes, people have responsabilities, real life, lack of time, etc.. but
> everyone has a few free minutes in their lives, and if people know
> there's a hard deadline in a few weeks then today, even if tired,
> instead of watching some movie, they will rather spend some of that
> time fixing what they think is critical for the release. I have zero
> free time, but when there is something urgent, I can suddenly make
> time for it, and I think everyone is like that too.

NEVER EVER assume that everyone else is just like you.  No matter
what.  It's just a silly notion quite frankly.  We are all different in
so many ways.

> > i consider them a deal breaker :( a right now i want to not talk
> > dates until
> > AFTER efl 1.1. those dates will depend on if that gets a delay in
> > it or what
> > people do manage to do between now and then with e17. if that todo
> > list still
> > is no further along, then the timeframe has to be longer, if it is,
> > then shorter.
> >
> Alright, *that* in my opinion is an actual compromise of the subject
> discussed here (well, on the point I am making). No problems, we can
> talk dates after efl 1.1, I am fine with that :)

It's what was being said all along, by a few of us.  Not a compromise at
all, just the plan.  There was no need to make a big drama about stuff
to get to this point.  lol

> but as is, you are alienating everyone with no release.

Odd, I don't feel alienated.