https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/humanities/2YYdPcw5_XE
I thought about these "things"  thirty years ago, give or take....
If the link above works, this will give you a glimpse of my own thoughts as
to an approach to things, both physical and cultural...(scientific and
social)  nominal9 thematic dialectic logic....I don't presume to give
"answers"... no philosopher's stone foror from me... just a method of
analysis to differentiate any particular author' s. "assignations" of
"ontological"(fact or fancy), "ethical" (good or bad) and yes, even
"epistemological" ( subjective or objective) predicated values....I remain
true to the author I treat in order to properly "understand" him or her....
but then... as a reader and as a human being in my own right, I ask... do I
agree with those assignations or not?....

My "dialectic method" framework is in "signs"... call them "semiotic" or
whatever... that eventually
"blossom" into language ... of all sorts, depending on the author....

Positivism was never a singular / you said ... I say, roughly... it was
(is) true to the basic epistemological tenet of all "scientific method"
should be a mix of "theory" (thought) and "experiment" (empirical
experience) Like I said Concept (subjective)/ Reference (objective).

Etc.

Can scientific method be applied to "human affairs"?.....depends.... are we
talking about the physical human (reference)?  I'd say yes: the human body
is governed by all physical constraints .....or the thinking (concept)
human? I'd say no:mankind's thinking is all over the place and prone to
willfulness and error and all sorts of other unpredictable vagaries....

So what's the problem.... Archytas.....? HAR

What I try to get across is that "If it is one thing, it is not
another".... the basic concept of "identity" that leads to differentiation
and distinction......and "contradiction and contrariety".....