On 1/5/2013 9:27 PM, archytas wrote:
This is from the net somewhere (I forget).
Many process philosophers, following the lead of David Ray Griffin,
refer to their own work as “constructive postmodernism” in order to
differentiate it from the deconstruction program of Jacques Derrida,
Jean-François Lyotard, Michel Foucault, and others. The latter
movements seek to dismantle the notions of system, self, God, purpose,
meaning, reality, and truth in order to prevent, among other things,
oppressive totalities and hegemonic narratives that arose in the
Modern period. Constructive postmodernism, on the other hand, seeks
emancipation from the negative aspects of modernity through revision
rather than elimination. Constructive postmodernism seeks to revise
and re-synthesize the insights and positive features of Modernity into
a post-anthropocentric, post-individualistic, post-materialist, post-
nationalist, post-patriarchal, and post-consumerist worldview. For
example, modernity’s worship of scientific achievement, combined with
lingering Aristotelian doctrines of substance and efficient causation
may have led to a mechanistic materialist worldview. Deconstructive
postmodernism would combat this worldview by undermining the efficacy
of science, claiming that all observational statements are actually
about our own culturally-constituted conceptual scheme, not about an
independently real world. Constructive postmodernism seeks instead to
leave natural science intact, because empirical observation itself
produces evidence against mechanism and materialism when it takes in a
sufficiently broad data set (that is, all of human experience, and not
just experience of “physical” objects).

My own interest in process philosophy came because I can't stand
fundamentalist metaphysics, including attempts to do away with it
altogether (logical positivism), but really can't stand simple grand
narratives foisted on us first as kids and later through culture and
media.  I'm as sure as I can be that we have never been modern and
don't live in any 'after-world' of this.  Incredulity towards
metanarratives always seems to come in language that supports/creates/
sustains a myriad of hidden grand-narratives.in a manufactured silence
(perhaps as Skype transmits 'nothing' in packets).  Something of
Whitehead's 'experiments are occasions of experience' seems to remain
in Deutsch's constructor theory.  In some way I want to reject skill
with words - yet think of recent experiments that have created
'negative Kelvin' and the negative temperatures being higher than
absolute zero - and one knows this is impossible.  Yet I doubt
elaboration in such is anything like the control frauds of most
religion and economics.

Hi,

I am rejecting pretty much all modernists stuff with a couple exceptions as purely linguistic analysis. I am going back and rehabilitating the masters: Leibniz, Descartes, Spinoza... Process philosophy of science. ;-)