On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:43 PM, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ​>> ​
>>> ​I agree, so when describing the latest variation on the thought
>>> experiment ​why not simply do away with personal pronouns like "I" and use
>>> the referent instead?
>>>

>> ​> ​
>> Because that's impossible.
>>

> ​I agree, in talking about the future in a world with duplicating machines
> it's impossible to express Bruno's ideas without using "I", a personal
> pronoun that in this context has no referent, in other words a personal
> pronoun that means absolutely positively nothing, zero, zilch, nada, goose
> egg. I
> n other words bruno's ideas are not wrong, they're gibberish.  ​

Whether post-duplication-machine or post-many-worlds-duplication, "I"
refers to the person having a subjective experience.  Post duplication, we
both agree that the persons diverge in either scenario. So there are two
first-person experiences, but we can refer to *THE* first-person experience
of either person: i.e., what it's like to be Moscow Man or Washington Man.
What it's like to see the dead cat or the live cat. "I" see a dead cat. "I"
see that I am in Washington.

> ​> ​
>> There is something it is like to go through a duplicator, and what it's
>> like to be duplicated in a duplicator vs a many-worlds thought experiment
>> is going to be the same because computationally speaking, those scenarios
>> are equivalent.
>>

> ​You keep saying that but give no reasons to think they are equivalent, I
> keep saying they are not equivalent but unlike you I give very detailed
> reasons why they are not equivalent. ​
>
> ​If you disagree with my reasons then tell me why, but don't just keep
> saying they're equivalent.​

The reasons you are giving why they are not equivalent only bear on the
third-person perspective: the description of the bodies, and how we can
refer to them.

The reasons I am giving why they are equivalent bear on the first-person
perspective: the conscious experience of the person going through the
many-worlds or single-world duplication. I have been pretty clear on why
they are equivalent... consciousness supervenes on physical brains
(assuming computationalism), the physical brains are duplicated in both
scenarios, and they diverge post-duplication (eventually, if you insist).
>From *THE* first-person perspective of either duplicated person, those
scenarios are equivalent.

Since first-person is what is relevant to Step 3, my explanation of why
they are equivalent is what matters, not your third-person explanation of
why they are not.

Terren